When you think of songs about fatherhood, all too often the first to come to mind is Harry Chapin’s Cat’s in the Cradle. Which, for most of us, is the parent’s ultimate cautionary tale, the soundtrack of regret over parenting moments not best met. There are other songs for dads to hum along to, of course, and some of them are certified tear-free! Uplifting, even!
Since Beleaf was one of our short-form keynoters at Dad 2.017 (which took place during the Grammys, btw), we thought that now, with the world in shades of thaw and chaos, perhaps a song might do some good.
For instance, how about Dat Dere? Oscar Brown, Jr.’s take on the inquisitive toddler phase we all know?
Or Zach Gill’s wonderful combo of Watch Them Grow and Family?
Stevie Wonder’s Isn’t She Lovely, obviously.
The indelible sweetness Loudon Wainwright III’s Daughter.
Ben Folds’ tribute to his daughter, Gracie.
And last, but not least, John Lennon’s Beautiful Boy.
Check these out and add them to your daddy playlist! And by all means, let us know about your favorites, since we know this little list has only scratched the surface. (DAD JOKE!)
IN THE NEWS
This story of a wrestling star stepping away to care for his ailing father is the right stuff: “His dad’s well-being meant more to him than any athletic accolades.”
“Superman has dealt with aliens and Kryptonite, but raising a family is a new kind of challenge.” Ya think?
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) March 2, 2017
Talking to kids about a parent’s cancer is never easy, especially when there isn’t a lot of time left.
Kudos to the Tampa dads who have created a way to help save the lives of children left in hot cars.
As the Snapchat IPO makes headlines, it looks like it’s the moms and dads who are keeping the user base afloat.
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) March 1, 2017
Detained 30 days and threatened with deportation, a father is allowed to return home because “his family needs him.”
If your kid feels peer pressure to make a bad choice, this “X-Plan” gives him or her a way out.
Bravo, Italy! For the first time two gay partners have been legally recognized as fathers of surrogate children.
A POSITIVE PORTRAYAL OF BLACK FATHERHOOD WON AN OSCAR TONIGHT GOTDAMN IT pic.twitter.com/gpWx2ZYiMr
— Kima Jones (@kima_jones) February 27, 2017
- “Are You Ready to Talk to Your Kids About Sex? Are Your Kids?” asks Mike Reynolds of Puzzling Posts in this look at the birds and the bees (and a panda, for some reason).
- Brian Craig is a Dad of Influence sharing an emotional journey through perspective in “The Flight Home.”
- At Tales From the Poop Deck, Creed Anthony focuses on the “Ordinary People” in an extraordinary way.
- Can you recall “The Earliest Memories of Your Child?” Darrell Milton, aka Modern Father Online, shares his.
- Kevin McKeever, writing at the City Dads Group blog, tells the story of his daughter’s battle in “Rare Disease Peddles Its Tricks on Child, Family.”
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) February 28, 2017
Do you receive the Dad 2.0 Summit Newsletter? You should! In it we share all kinds of information and news about the Dad 2.0 Summit. Add it to your inbox! It’s the perfect way to start planning your trip to New Orleans.