(Before you read any further, you should know that this is not an ad. Because really, does a juggernautical icon like the Star Wars universe even need one? This far-far-away galaxy is as globally recognizable as Marvel or Potter, but with a nostalgic appeal and cinematic history that dates back before most of you were born.
This post is more about the experiences of being an online influencer, and how sometimes they include meandering through a full-size Millennium Falcon.)
And now, after 42 years of fantasy space-swashbuckling (and almost seven under the ever-biggening Disney umbrella), Disneyland has opened Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, an immersive land where cast members stay in character and characters like frequent Disney denizen Whit Honea are everywhere.
Like Luke Skywalker, Whit grew up in a desert farming community, dreaming of the day that he could travel to someplace bigger. That someplace existed on screens and pages, the swirl of imagination that later found its way into the hearts of his own two sons, and like many families, they bonded with a Force.
The opening of a Star Wars land means that those bonds will now have a new place to run and grow, to stretch into galaxies far away with such a long, long way to go. It is a monument to dreams and hopes shared between generations, but now with more churros. And it’s a definite thrill to be offered the chance to tour such a goosebumpy universe as an influencer, and pass those goosebumps onto your kids.
IN THE NEWS
Is it possible to “bullyproof” our kids?
We hope this landmark decision about paid leave will encourage more dads to pursue the benefits the law provides.
Flexible schedules, understanding sleep patterns, and eliminating time wasters all help us achieve the work/life integration we dream of.
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 29, 2019
“Getting men more involved in prenatal care and pregnancy just furthers the trend of today’s dads being more involved than ever before.”
“For some dads, being able to talk about how they were feeling was half the battle.”
“There are still plenty of ways to bond with your children that will leave them thinking that you’re a pretty cool dad.”
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 30, 2019
What is real life like for kids who grew up viral?
How often do you walk and talk with your teen?
With the school year ending and weather getting warmer, it’s time to start thinking more about pool safety. That includes swimming lessons.
If you're a fan of the #RedSox, or baseball, or fatherhood, or humanity, you'll enjoy this throwback video of #DustinPedroia abruptly leaving a game after learning his wife was in labor with their first child. https://t.co/o0sm4K9ZjP
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 30, 2019
- “His little perfect body started to shake, his eye rolled back and he was just shaking. He was having a seizure and I couldn’t do anything about it.” – James Lopez; I Didn’t Feel Like a Dad Until I Almost Wasn’t!
- “Most folks are doing the best they can in the moment. I need to do the same. They need me to meet them there, with empathy and patience.” – Doug Zeigler; Sky Lessons
- “Strokes are the fifth leading cause of death for adults in the United States and the leading cause of disability. I know all of these stroke facts because I had to learn them the hard way.” – Frederick J. Goodall; My Story as a Stroke Survivor + Tips on How to Identify and Prevent a Stroke
- “You start doing parent things. You carry it all with you. You load and unload.” – Taylor Garcia; Dadlandia
- “There are simply days when the toll of managing two kids—one of whom is an infant—is worse than others. Recently, there had been more of those days.” – Mike Julianelle; Explaining Multiple Sclerosis to My Kids
‘GRAM OF THE WEEK
View this post on Instagram
Nothing inspires plans like gazing into your newborn's sleeping face. — RP @bamsberry: Boy you're gonna move mountains. 🏔 Great things are to come. + + #dadsquad #dadsofig #family #fatherhood #dadscomm #instadad #daddy #parentlife #baby #childhoodunplugged #dad #dadlife #parenting #parenthood #familytime #love #father #thedadnetwork #lifeofdad #dadsofinstagram #kids #dadblog #igdads #instadaddy #dads #daddyandson
Do you receive the Dad 2.0 Summit Newsletter? You should! In it we share all kinds of information and news about the Dad 2.0 Summit. Add it to your inbox! It’s the perfect way to start planning for our ninth summit in 2020!