Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? Oh, yes we do.
Dad 2.018 has come and gone, but the memories and friendships we made in the city that care forgot are still as tangible as the souvenir King cake on our counters. We know we’re biased, but seriously, that was a damn good time.
There were many wonderful moments at the 2018 Dad 2.0 Summit, our seventh-consecutive sellout! For instance:
- The terrific keynote address from Dove Men+Care, with Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott and his son Ryan Nece.
- The Best Buy drone experience and interview with Von Miller.
- The ride-and-drives, the beignet runs, and the Kiadvisory Influencer Seminar, all brought to us by four-time vehicle Sponsor Kia.
- The wonderful activations from newcomer Sponsors Hanes and Clorox.
- The informative and inspiring panel with new Sponsor GSK.
- The Friday programming, flush with the exchange of crucial skills.
- The third annual Dad Voices gathering, now a Friday night staple.
- The Saturday programming, featuring breakouts that were packed and vibrant with conversation, passion, and expertise.
- The closing keynote from Google’s Global Education Evangelist Jaime Casap.
The all of you. Especially you. We can’t wait to get after it in San Antonio for Dad 2.019.
IN THE NEWS
We’re fans: The first-grade classrooms at Springfield Elementary were overflowing, as teachers hosted a “Super Bowl STEAM for Dads” event.
Dads can feel guilty about the frustrations of integrating work and family. But we “simply do not allow that guilt to take over.”
Losing your hair, dads? Grab a side of fries!
"I reached out to [the #Facebook group] Black Fathers, and I told them it wasn’t a good day for me, and the level of support I got from those guys…. I thank everyone of you brothers for being there for me." @ABC https://t.co/DNkiYeaiK3
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) February 8, 2018
“NBC’s This Is Us might resonate as ‘cry porn’ to some, but it’s got one thing few other shows do: It’s an earnest portrait of what makes a good pops.”
Does your teen want a tattoo or piercing? Here are some helpful conversation points to discuss first.
In Ohio, family courts a showing a strong preference (and even presumption) for shared parenting. Additionally, they are emphasizing mediation and using the term “parenting time” instead of “custody,” because words matter.
"What are the most common sexist assumptions about stay-at-home parents, and what can we do to stop them from becoming a problem?" – @JenniferELandis #fatherhood #sahd #paygap #parenting https://t.co/nwjM5o8Yhz
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) February 7, 2018
“My dad taught me to confront the insidiousness of racism head on, no matter what the ramification, so it will not fester. Defeat it and get past it. That was The Talk. Nothing scared me after that.” – Wendell Pierce
“Half of teens say they feel addicted to their mobile devices, and the majority of parents, 60%, say their kids are addicted.”
When America’s Dads collide: Tom Hanks to play Mister Rogers, and that just feels right.
Also, toddlers are liars.
— La Guardia Cross (@LaGuardiaCross) February 7, 2018
PORCHLIGHT POSTS: DAD 2.018 REVIEWS EDITION
- In his second post about the Dad 2.0 Summit, Ryan Darcy put a bow on it.
- Hanging from hooks and flashy pants are just the tip of the Dad 2.0 iceberg for Michael Moebes.
- Spotlight Reader Aaron Yavelberg is really fitting in at Dad 2.0 Summit.
- Bryan Grossbauer is all about Dad 2.0 bringing modern dads together.
- Dad 2.0 is about positive influences on fatherhood, and Mark LaMaster likes it.
While this edition of Fatherhood on Friday may have started with one last hug for New Orleans, we’re already looking forward to our next embrace in historical San Antonio! Please watch this space (and our social platforms) to stay informed about all the things that will bring us together in 2019!
In addition, we’ve once again formatted donations to the Oren Miller Dad 2.0 Scholarship Fund as a separate line item that will stay open until November 30, 2018.
Do you receive the Dad 2.0 Summit Newsletter? You should! In it we share all kinds of information and news about the Dad 2.0 Summit. Add it to your inbox! It’s the perfect way to start planning your trip to New Orleans.