Happy Mother’s Day Eve Eve! Is that a thing for you? It is for us. It may come off as a mere Hallmark Holiday, but we view that term in the best sense, since parenting has become the hallmark of our adult lives, and none of it would have happened without a woman’s miracle biology.
We’ve learned a lot about motherhood from the many mothers who’ve spoken at Dad 2.0 Summit over the years. There are as many opinions of Mother’s Day as moms to define it, and not everyone is a fan. It only makes sense, then, to try to view the day from the perspective of the honorees.
- Kristen Howerton has written that Mother’s Day conjures a lot of complex emotions in women, not all of them warmnfuzzy.
- The Washington Post’s On Parenting editor Amy Joyce curated a piece where 10 women defined motherhood in 100 words, many of which are bittersweet.
- And Asha Dornfest has considered a couple decades of Mother’s Days and found a way to celebrate it with positivity and happiness.
The common thread throughout these posts is the importance of communication. It’s no coincidence that all three of these women represent the best about blogging and stress the importance of communication in any relationship.
So if you’re getting ready to celebrate the mother in your life on Sunday, ask her where her head is on the whole thing. Hopefully, that will help you find happiness in everything you celebrate. And if Father’s Day conjures similarly conflicted thoughts in you, your partner will be in the best position to return the favor.
WHEN DOVE MEN+CARE WINS, WE ALL DO
We want to congratulate our pals on the Dove Men+Care team at Edelman, whose work promoting paternity leave won this year’s SABRE Award for Cause Marketing! And if you’ve attended a Dad 2.0 Summit and interacted with the Edelmaniacs who have brought in DM+C as our Title Sponsor for the last seven years, you’ve had a part in this award, too. We remain very glad that this discussion, and the work that Dove Men+Care and Edelman are doing to broaden it, is getting the attention and accolades it deserves.
IN THE NEWS
Parents, how do you and your kids show appreciation for educators?
Are you trying to avoid parenting burnout?
It turns out that video games can have a lasting effect on the brain.
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 6, 2019
“This career, this whole thing of being a commercially successful writer — that has no value to me if I can’t stay at home with my wife and kids.”
“Relationships are based on common values and experiences, and the best way to discover them is to talk with each other.”
“I don’t have time to fall apart. There is too much relying on me.”
"Something that is cool about my situation with ALS is that I have a handful of caregivers. In many ways they are my arms and legs, so the cool part is that I have to consciously express my philosophies of parenting." – @SteveGleason https://t.co/sDKyxEiXHl
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 6, 2019
Has parenting ever made you royally tired?
What is parenting success?
Parents, you’ve got to accentuate the positive.
Big congrats to our friends @LifeofDadShow @ArtEddy3 and @Jon_Finkel on the release of "The Life of Dad: Reflections on Fatherhood from Today's Leaders, Icons, and Legendary Dads!" https://t.co/gYn6hOTzHY
— Dad 2.0 Summit (@dad2summit) May 8, 2019
- “We can’t all be cowboys, astronauts or ballerinas, but there was once a time in our lives when we honestly believed that we could be.” – Jeremy Barnes; Future Rock Star
- “I also remember standing beside my father on the beach one summer on a glorious sunny day squinting up at a kite dancing and swooping in the brisk ocean breeze.” – Andrew Knott; Our Family Flies Kites, Kind Of
- “Of course, I was also worried about the normal things—’Am I cut out to take care of another human being?’ or ‘What if my child becomes a Juggalo?’—but I was always able to talk myself out of those worries.” – Jared Bilski; I Got Tips For Living With Sleep Deprivation From Navy SEALs
- “No piece of playground equipment has ever been built for climbing better than a tree.” – Christian Lee; Yes, He Can Climb Trees at the Park
- “On the subject of singing, let’s talk about our in-game chatter. It’s chatter, not sea shanties.” – Kevin McKeever; The Art of Dealing with Today’s Ballplayers
‘GRAM OF THE WEEK
View this post on Instagram
Congratulations @thenewdadssaga! Seven weeks down, and a lifetime to go! — Our little boy was born on 3/16 & it has been quite an exciting 7 weeks since then. He is growing so fast & changing every day. Learning the routines is challenging & exciting all at the same time. This little guy brings so much joy to our lives. . Looking forward to sharing and connecting with more fellow fathers! . #newdad #newdaddy #babyboy #7weeksold #newparents #parenting #nosleepfordaddy #familyman #newborn #fatherandson #fatherhoodrocks
Do you receive the Dad 2.0 Summit Newsletter? You should! In it we share all kinds of information and news about the Dad 2.0 Summit. Add it to your inbox! It’s the perfect way to start planning for our ninth summit in 2020!